Sunday, October 24, 2010

One Descriptive Word

If I could explain God in one word it would be this: Beautiful. Not loving, merciful, just, righteous, glorious… or any other of the trillion correct attributes of God but simply beautiful. A friend once questioned me on this, acting shocked that I would describe God this way… “Beautiful?” He said, sounding incredulous, “that doesn’t make sense”. At first, I felt a little silly and withdrawn… maybe my view of God wasn’t accurate and it was just my inaptitude which caused me to see Him this way. Then… I continued reflecting.

Beauty is enticing, alluring, it calls to us asking to be delighted in and searched for. It is life-giving. Is not God these things as well? Does he not tell us “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” Jer 29:13. God does not throw himself at the feet of people, begging them to love Him. He does not throw himself away as a prostitute. No, he requires us to search for him, and that we all do even when we don’t know it’s Him we are searching for. Why? Because His beauty is alluring, enticing and mostly because His beauty makes us free.

Beautiful. My creator, daddy, king, and savior is radiantly beautiful.

*Citation Note: I am currently re-reading Captivating, the second paragraph is a
reflection of my reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment