Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Importance of Every Hour

The Importance of Every Hour

The more God is teaching me about his greatness my passion grows to share the gospel message with E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E I meet; whether it be the gas station clerk, three American guy’s studying in the Union, or an international student. The more I’ve been stretched to manage every hour with great importance, not trying to waste a single second because “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Mt 24:36).

While it is imperative that sharing Christ and uplifting believers should be my primary passion, I began and am still struggling with trying to discover how to maintain other responsibilities (studies, work, family obligations) that I enjoy and require time. As an American, and more specifically an Iowan, a good work ethic is something that is coveted. Strong grades and long work hours are both widely seen to be greater than the Kingdom. In my contemplation of this issue God brought me to Ecclesiastes, a book of the Bible written by the Holy Spirit through the very wise King Solomon. “Meaningless! Meaningless! Says the Teacher. Utterly meaningless! Everything is Meaningless!” Meaningless is used 35 times throughout Ecclesiastes. Woah, Solomon the most wise king who built up business and homes, had harems and anything else he wanted has come to the realization that literally e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g apart from God, and not for God is meaningless. This is a man who had it all - just like Brian Welch (KoRn), Andre Agassi, etc who discovered that at the end all of the fame and fortune just led to complete misery and despair.

Does this give me a reason to drop out of school and/or fail all of my classes? No, of course not it simply means that every class I go into should know the importance of Christ and the message of salvation. It means that I shouldn’t be studying alone, but with others to share Christ with them. It means that my life will look drastically different and go from worrying about every grade to considering how I am reflecting my King through all of my actions (including how I do on tests). “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:” (Ec 3:1) and because “I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.” (Ec: 3:14). Therefore, in writing this I have come to the conclusion that God gives us an enormous blessing by COMMANDING us to Go Unto All The World (Mt 28:19)and thus I should strive to do so in every circumstance and situation, preaching the gospel every place my feet land.

No comments:

Post a Comment