Monday, December 13, 2010

Perspective Shift: Need

You sit in a coffee shop, classroom, office building... and look around. Faces are seen everywhere - faces of people who are hurting, broken, bruised. Masked faces that keep moving forward directionless (or maybe completely driven by fear). It used to overwhelm me, the many people who don't know the Truth. Who haven't read the Word (either by choice or lack of ability). Faces of people who've never had faith in Jesus Christ, or have chosen to reject it.

I used to be overwhelmed by these faces, and more then just the faces that overwhelmed me were the friends, acquaintances, and people i see everyday. The people whose stories i know, or at least know some of, that i can't help but desperately pray that the Lord would open up their eyes to His presence and respond to Him in repentance and adoration.

Two weeks ago, i had a conversation that completely rocked my world and I realized... I can either chose to be overwhelmed by the need or chose to focus on building deep transparent relationships where God cannot help but be glorified. I'm horrible at focusing; at saying "no"... i want to help everyone, to show Jesus' magnificence to everyone not just a few. I want to be everything to everyone.

I didn't use to think this was a big issue until i realized the root reason why "I" wanted to do all of these things: pride. & the root reason I don't like saying no: I don't trust God.

So here's to a break and semester about narrow focus, and the choice to be free from overwhelming stress at such great need.

No comments:

Post a Comment